Tuesday, June 9, 2015

New man in my life

There is a new man in my life. His name is Michael.

Before I tell you about Michael, I need to start with Will. He and I had a long relationship. It started when I lived in Minneapolis and I found him by mistake... or I guess you could call it fate.

He was super skinny and covered in tattoos. His tongue was pierced. Sometimes I didn't feel quite hip enough for him. He talked about bands and bars and trends I didn't know much about. But Will sat me down, put his skinny fingers in my hair, and knew just what to do.

The first time Will moved across town, I followed. Then the second time he moved I decided, with a heavy heart, to let him go. After a couple of rebound trims I moved to Germany and started three dark years of blunt cuts, too many layers, one-appointment stands all over Hannover.

I had almost gotten used to this lifestyle. I waited for months until split ends forced me to try out a fresh face and fresh pair of shears. Every time, I tried not to be disappointed.

Then I heard about Michael, and decided to meet him. I was a little nervous. I had even cut out a magazine picture and put it in my pocket, just in case. When Michael told me how much we needed to take off, my heart melted a little. When he started the razor cut, I swooned. I will be seeing him again.



Of course the real man in my life, at a concert last Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.