Wednesday, September 19, 2012

FKK - the naked people

Just past the Maschsee, the big lake in Hannover with the big scary carp, there are a series of ponds. It's a pretty setting - trees, bike paths, picnic areas, and naked old men. That's right, one of the ponds is what I like to call "the naked lake".

Last weekend, Brian and I were heading back from a bike ride on a sunny day and took a path past around a few of the ponds. I knew where we were heading, and what we might see there, but I don't think that Brian did. And, just as I expected, there was some pale, wrinkly flesh out on display as the members of FKK relaxed by the water.

Germans like to join clubs, like rowing clubs and running clubs and tennis clubs. It shouldn't surprise you, then, that the nudists also have a club. I researched it on Wikipedia (where else?).
The club is called FKK, which stands for Frei Koerper Kultur, or Free body culture. The FKK was founded in 1898 with the idea that nudity is natural and should not be taboo. The first nude Olympic Games took place in Switzerland in 1939. I'm going to pause for a moment and let you envision that....
Hitler didn't like the nudists very much and told them to put on some clothes, but the organization survived after the war and grew more popular as "naturist" beaches and resorts became more common in Europe. FKK membership surged in the 1960s, which might explain why the naked people in Hannover seem to be roughly at retirement age, though I try not to look for too long.

Nudity is not just for summer. The FKK also has houses where they hang out, serve drinks, and socialize. Maybe that's where the young, fit, attractive nudists hang out, if there are any. I don't know what else happens there. And I'm not sure I want to.

I think it's great that people are comfortable with their bodies, connected with nature, free of inhibition... I just might take my picnic elsewhere.


3 comments:

  1. Additional information: FKK is really popular in the Eastern Germany. After Poland entered Schengen which allows European citizens cross country borders without passport control, the people who are on vacations at Polish beaches next to eastern Germany make long walks all the way to the German side. Poland as catholic country does not have this nude culture so the Polish catholics do make pilgrimages to see the naked Germans in their spare time.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.