Saturday, May 12, 2012

Bike taxis



I have a new idea for a job. Because all I do now is cover teach and coach track and consult for my old job and take German classes and take Masters classes online… but all on a sporadic and part-time basis. So I thought it would be cool to drive a bike taxi.

Brian and I had been seeing them around town since the weather started to warm up. It’s more of a pod than a bike, kind of like a Smart Car crossed with a tricycle. They drive people to the zoo and soccer games and on tours around the city, and the passengers always seem to be having a good time. We never saw any women driving them, though, so Brian joked that I could be the only foreign female bike taxi driver in Hannover. It seemed silly but the more I thought about it, it made sense. I could make a little money, practice my German, get a workout, and learn my way around the city all at the same time!

This is what they look like

I decided to email them. What did I really have to lose? They probably wouldn’t reply anyway. Brian found the websites for the two bike taxi companies in Hannover, and I sent them an email in English and German. They both called me. The same day. In German. I managed to have a conversation and they still both asked me to come in for an interview and a test drive.

I’ve been on a lot of job interviews before but I don’t remember ever being as nervous as I was for my first bike taxi interview. I didn’t need a resume or a nice outfit or a list of references. I just had to do it all in the language that I didn’t know a word of 9 months ago. Driving the bike taxi was the easy part.

And… I did ok. I passed the bike taxi test drive, and understood most of what the bike taxi guys said to me. I even managed to ask a few questions. It seems like I can work at either place if I want to - the main issue now is whether I can do it legally. Bike taxi drivers are considered self-employed. They have to pay a fee (1-20 euros a day) to the bike taxi company to cover use of the taxi, insurance, uniforms (yes, spandex and jerseys), etc. Then the driver gets to keep the fares. In order to be self-employed in Germany you need a business license, and no one seems to know for sure if I can get one as a non-EU citizen with a residence permit.

So next week I get to go to the foreigner’s office to find out. That should be interesting. I can envision the conversation now. The grumpy government employee will ask –  What sort of business do you want to start? How it will contribute to the German economy?  And I will answer -  I want to become the only foreign female bike taxi driver in Hannover. It will help me learn German, and I look good in bike shorts.
Then I will either get the stamp of approval or get laughed out of the building. But if I can at least put those phrases together in German, it will be an accomplishment either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Thanks for coming to my blog. It started as a way to keep in touch with family and friends, and now has become an ongoing project. I'm an American living in Germany and trying to travel whenever I can. I write about my experiences as an expatriate (the interesting ones and the embarrassing ones), and about my travels. There are some recurring characters in this blog, particularly my husband Brian and several of our friends. The title comes from the idea that living in a foreign country means making a lot of mistakes. So the things you used to do easily you now have to try over and over again. Hopefully, like me, you can laugh at how idiotic it feels. If you have happened upon my blog, then welcome. Knowing that people are reading what I write makes me keep going. Feel free to write comments or suggestions for future posts.